I have italian roots. So it doesn’t come as a surprise that I love pasta. And pasta sauces. Especially pesto! So you can imagine how excited I am each year, when there is a bunch of fresh basil growing in my mums garden. So here is my take on this traditional italian dish. I added in some avocado instead of olive because I mean… avocado. It’s as simple as that. I mix it in with some whole-grain pasta and some cut up sundried tomatoes. Enjoy a raw avocado pesto!
Raw avocado pesto
- 2 medium avocados
- 2 handfuls of fresh basil (around 30 g)
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- optional: 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- Step 1 In your food processor or in a bowl, add in your avocados freshly picked basil, and minced garlic.
- Step 2 Combine all of your ingredients and blend them to a smooth consisteny.
- Step 3 Depending on the softness of your avocados, you might need to add some water to help it blend. (If you are using a regular blender, add your avocados and a little bit of water on the bottom and add the other ingredients on top. This makes the whole process a lot easier!)
- Step 4 Next add in your pine nuts, nutritional yeast (this addes a cheesy touch and some B-vitamins to the pesto, but is optional) and salt and blend for a few seconds.
- Step 5 I like it when there are still some chunks of the pine nuts in there!
- Step 6 Serve with some cooked pasta.